Entrance to the Novitiate
Published by Fr. Heredi Suhartono, SMM in Indonesia · 29 March 2023
Tags: NU, IDO, 984
Tags: NU, IDO, 984
RUTENG, Indonesia - On March 25, 2023, the Montfort Missionaries in Indonesia welcomed 7 new Montfortian novices at Novisiat Montfortan, Labe, Carep, Ruteng, Flores, Indonesia. The novices are: Fr. Petrus Pedor LADO (Peter), Fr. Irenius MAGUR (Iren), Fr. Agustinus Rishal BORY (Rizal), Fr. Salvadus K. SAPE (Salvas); Fr. Sava Trivensi JIKE; Fr. Ignasius ALFIANO (Anno) and Fr. Paskalis DATUS (Kalis). They come from different regions in Flores Island.
The welcoming celebration was presided by Fr. Antonius TENSI, SMM, the Superior of the Indonesian Montfortian. This welcoming celebration signifies that they have taken the initial step on their journey toward Montfortian formation. Fr. Antonius emphasized some important points to be reflected by these new novices:
1) They should know that their habit is a sign of holiness and God’s protection. In other words, their habit should be a symbol of their desiring to achieve holiness.
2) They are called to follow Christ. It is in Scripture they can find out some guidelines for following Christ. Thus, they have to read Scripture daily.
3) They have to spend more time for prayer and reflection so that they know God personally. Knowing God simply from afar (knowledge) is dangerous for one’s vocation.
4) They should know and practice vows as a kind of self-discipline (ascetism) that controls their desires and minds.
5) They should know their main treasure, namely Jesus. Look for Him and not for other things.
The celebration was attended by formators who have been accompanying them, some priests who are doing their ministry in Diocese of Ruteng, and the two scholastics who are doing their pastoral year in St. Montfort Parish, Poco and St. Anthony Parish, Mbeling. Beside attending this celebration, the Montfortians had a regular meeting for the province. It was a blessing moment as well, because on the same day, we celebrated the Solemnity of the Annunciation of Mary together with lay people, some sisters including Daughters of Wisdom, and Association of Mary, Queen of All Hearts. It was at this moment that new coordinators of Association of Mary, Queen of All Hearts, Flores Region were commissioned by the Provincial.
Finally, before mass was ended, the Montfortians together with Daughters of Wisdom and the members of Association of Mary, Queen of All Hearts renewed their consecration. The memorable celebration was concluded with a sumptuous meal.
Fr. Heredi Suhartono, SMM